The Antidote for ‘Nothing to Do’: Boredom Busters for All Ages
Picture this: You and the family are giddy with excitement for the holiday season and the break from routine. Parties and presents keep you busy for weeks. Then suddenly, without warning, you hear it: “There’s nothing to do.” A change of scenery is in order!
First things first: Book your Aurora hotel
Your accommodations can make or break a great trip, so your first move is to book a room at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Aurora - Naperville, Illinois. You’ll appreciate the extra space and privacy offered in our kids’ suites, which feature crowd-pleasers like bunk beds and a PlayStation video game system. And to fill time between outings, help you enjoy a lazy morning or cap off a day of laughs, be sure to bring the kids down to the pool for some wintertime water fun!
Now that your home base is established, it’s time to put together your itinerary.
Fun for all ages in the Aurora area
For a full day of fun for everyone, look no further than Funway in neighboring Batavia. Not only is it a great spot for bowling, but you’ll also find good old-fashioned roller-skating, plus black light mini golf, bumper cars, an arcade and laser tag. Everyone can refuel on pizza or hot dogs, and those 21+ can even enjoy a cocktail.
If action and excitement are a bit much for your crew, think about more lowkey options:
- If you have a budding firefighter, bring them to the Aurora Regional Fire Museum. The little ones will have fun dressing up in the Children’s Room, and the rest of you can learn from the historical exhibits throughout the museum.
- If you can’t wait to get the kids back into school, stop by the Little White School Museum just south of Aurora in Oswego. Check out their special events calendar to find an activity that might be right for your kids.
- If art is more your style, book some time at Arts on Fire! This pottery-painting space at Fox Valley Mall in Aurora has options for kids as young as 3. Or check the schedule at Water Street Studios in Batavia, which offers special classes for adults and kids.
- If you happen to be in town on a Monday, check the schedule of films at Paramount Theatre in Aurora. They show classic movies for only $1 in the historic venue on select Mondays.
For the older (and more adventurous) kids
Entice your teens to join you on your getaway by choosing some family-bonding activities that you will laugh about for years to come.
- First, warm up your brain at Fermilab’s Lederman Science Center. Located in Batavia on the campus of government-owned Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, the center has hands-on exhibits for kids age 10 and older.
- Now take your thinking caps over to Mind Trap Escape Rooms in Montgomery, twice ranked in the top 10 in the U.S. by USA Today. From the all-ages Pharaoh’s Chamber to the spine-tingling Doctor Death, which features live actors to pump up the scare factor, book a room where you’ll be trapped and work as a team to escape before time is up.
- For a less cerebral and more physical challenge, extend your fun at Mind Trap and try your hand at axe throwing! Bull & Bear Axe Throwing is located in the same place, and you can book an hour to compete against each other, no lumberjack experience required.
Whether you’re looking for a quick midweek getaway while school’s out or needing a change of scenery for a blustery weekend, you’ll find plenty of options to occupy the kids in and around Aurora this winter!
Start planning your trip to the Naperville and Aurora area...book your perfect hotel stay today with Holiday Inn Express & Suites Aurora - Naperville, Illinois!
From cozy accommodations for two with a jetted tub to kid-friendly suites with bunkbeds and a Playstation 4, this hotel truly has something to offer everyone. Spend your evening enjoying the indoor pool and hot tub, and kick off your morning with a workout in the on-site gym followed by a delicious complimentary breakfast served up by our friendly staff.
For those who are traveling to and from “the other big city” in Illinois, the hotel is located just steps away to the Metra station serving the BNSF rail line with easy access to Chicago’s Union Station.
Other Must Reads...
- The Most Wonderful Time of the Year…in Aurora
- Holiday Shopping in the Aurora, Illinois Area
- Live Performances at the Paramount Theatre in Aurora, Illinois
- Dining in the Aurora, Illinois Area